What Is Screen Sharing?
First of all, we must know what screen sharing is and how does it help the user. Screen sharing, as you can figure out by the name, is when you allow another user to user your computer with you. In this, whatever is being displayed on your desktop, it will be displayed on the screen of the person you have shared the screen with. With that, when you give permission to the other user, you both can take charge of the screen and use it simultaneously.
Generally, it is safe to share screen with the third person. However, you need to make sure that the person you have given the permission to, is trustworthy because that person can easily access your hard drive, find passwords, see financial records, etc right in front of you.
Why Share Your Screen?
If you have never shared your screen with someone else before, you must be wondering why you need to share your screen with anyone anyway? You might think that there is never a good enough reason to share your screen with anyone. However, there are a lot of reasons why you might want to share your screen with the other person. The most common reason is that whenever you are facing any technical problem on your desktop, you can easily show it to the other person. Sometimes, it is hard to explain the problem which you are facing and thus, sharing the screen will be a better solution. Furthermore, when you need someone to explain something to you online, they can do so by explaining it on your screen.
How To Share Screen on FaceTime
Apple has the in-built MacOS screen sharing option on its devices because of which you can easily and quickly share your screen with the other person and see what they are seeing. However, to make sure that you access the other person’s screen or vice versa, you need to turn on the Screen Sharing option. To do so, go to System Preferences and then go to ‘Sharing’.
Another thing that you need to be aware of is that the if the Apple ID which is used for iCloud and Messages is different, then both the email IDs have to be on their contact card on your Mac.
Below, we will help you with a step by step guide on how to share your screen on FaceTime app. All you need to do is to follow the steps that are mentioned below and you will be able to share screen on FaceTime. The steps to follow are:
- The first step that you need to follow is to open the messages app on your device.
- Once you have opened it, you now have to locate the conversation with the recipient. If you do not have a conversation, then you need to start one by sending a message to the recipient.
- On the upper right corner of your screen, you will see an option of “details”, you need to click on that option to proceed.
- Once done, you need to tap the double-screen option.
- You will now get an option where you have to choose who takes over whose screen. If you want to choose their screen, you need to select that and if you want them to take over your screen, you need to select that.
- The other person will see a request on his screen. To proceed, he has to either accept or decline.
- With that, you can share your screen on FaceTime.
The Benefits of Using OS X Messages to Share Screens
The benefits of using OS X Messages to Share your screen are:
- Anyone who has a Mac can easily use this to share the screen instead of choosing a third-party app for screen sharing. Mac has this screen sharing option pre-installed and thus, the users face no issue while sharing the screen.
- The flexibility of this allows the users who use a different services to share screen as well. The other services include Jabber, Bonjour, AIM, Google Talk, etc. Most people have at least one of these services, so you can share your screen with about everyone.
Conclusion: Sharing Screen on FaceTime
Sharing your screen on FaceTime is an easy task to perform and it could prove to be useful for you as well. You just need to make sure that the person you are sharing screen with is trustable.